MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2014 11:23:06 -0600
We have 4 white-faced ibis at Sherburne NWR today.  They can be seen from
Sherburne CR 16 on the west side of the refuge, at either Upper Roadside or
Carpenter Pools.

*Directions:*
From Sherburne CR 5, 1/2 block south of the Prairie's Edge Wildlife Drive
entrance, follow CR 16 west about 3 miles to the T in the road.  (CR 93
goes left, CR 16 goes right).  Follow 16 to the right and go 1 1/4 miles.
 Upper Roadside Pool is on the right, Lower Roadside Pool is on the left
right on the big sweeping 90 degree curve.  The birds were foraging on the
back side of Upper Roadside early this morning, were flushed and flew
north, over the tree tops and landed on the other side of the dike in
Carpenter Pool.  Later, they flew back to Upper Roadside and were easily
seen from CR 16 again.

If you do not see the birds from CR 16, continue north and west 1/2 block
through the curve and turn right into the small parking lot  where you see
a refuge gate.  Even though it is sanctuary time, and this area is normally
closed to the public, the refuge manager has given permission *THIS WEEKEND
ONLY (May 10-11)* for visitors to walk around the gate and follow the dike
for a block to get to Carpenter Pool, so that you can look for the birds
there as well.  Please DO NOT walk past the sawhorse and sign that's on the
dike.

Refuge staff will be monitoring the area, and if the birds stick around
after today, or the weekend, I will send another message via mou-net and
mnbird with updated instructions for viewing.a  If visitors abuse this
privilege, it may result in no access being granted in the future, should
we have something rare or interesting show up.  Thanks for following the
rules!

If you view the birds from CR 16, please be very careful, as there is
almost no shoulder and cars are notorious for speeding around that curve.
 Use your flashers.  We don't want any accidents!

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR