MOU-RBA Archives

May 2014

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2014 20:49:18 -0600

White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird
Purple Finch
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: May 1, 2014
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, April 30,
2014 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

We have had a relapse here in the northwest as the temperatures have
cooled with high winds. During most of the past week, it has been cool ,
very windy, and wet. About two inches of rain has accumulated over the
past few days, at least in the northern part of the region. Migration
seems to have stalled also. That being said, several very good birds
have been reported.

Barb and Denny Martin reported an adult WHITE IBIS northeast of Roseau
at the Norland Impoundment. Directions are to take 440 Ave north from MN
11 to 340th St. Then go east one mile where the road dead ends at the
impoundment gate. This is a very large impoundment , about 3 miles
square, with dikes around it. This is a second state record.

An adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was also spotted by Barb and Denny
Martin in Polk County just south of Erskine along US 59.

A EURASIAN WIGEON was spotted by Sandy Aubol and Judy Johnson at Agassiz
NWR in Marshall County on April 26. The bird was hanging around with
some teal on South Pool. It flew back to the north to Headquarters Pool,
but returned some time later as I was able to find it in the original
location . I do not know if the bird is still there. This is only the
third record for the refuge for that bird.

The LEWIS'S WOODPECKER is still being seen in Roosevelt as Barb and
Denny saw it today in both Roseau and Lake of the Woods counties. Also
reported in Roseau County at the Norland impoundment were VIRGINIA RAIL
and SHORT-EARED OWL.

Benjamin Eckhoff at Lake Carlos SP this week reported most ducks,
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, FRANKLIN'S GULLS,
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, COOPER'S HAWK, BELTED KINGFISHER, RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLET, HERMIT THRUSH, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and several species of
locally nesting sparrows.

Marshall Howe in Hubbard County reported TREE SWALLOWS, PURPLE MARTINS,
and MERLIN on April 25, CHIPPING SPARROW and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW on
April 30, and a RUSTY BLACKBIRD on May 1.

Linda Schumann at the Rainbow Resort near Detroit Lakes sent in a report
on April 30. They have seen COMMON MERGANSERS, HOODED MERGANSERS,
TRUMPETER SWANS, and COMMON LOONS. Around the feeders and yard have been
MOURNING DOVE, NORTHERN FLICKER, EASTERN PHOEBE, PURPLE MARTIN,
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and
PURPLE FINCH among others. Shelley Steva and I found a pair of TRUMPETER
SWANS in northeastern Becker County on April 26. A TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE
has been at Tamarac NWR all winter and is being seen 0.2 miles east of
headquarters in a burn area.

YELLOW RAIL and SHORT-EARED OWL were observed at the Twin Valley WMA in
Norman County by Barb and Denny Martin on May 1.

In Polk County, Shelley Steva saw 18 dancing GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKENS
along CR 46 on April 26. Sandy Aubol reported DARK-EYED JUNCO, CHIPPING
SPARROW, and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW on April 28, and an OSPREY on April
29 in East Grand Forks.

Here in Pennington County east of Thief River Falls, on April 25, I saw
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS , and GREAT BLUE HERON on the Red Lake River,
and a COOPER'S HAWK had dinner near our bird feeder. Wyatt Nelson
remarked on the large number of FRANKLIN'S GULLS feeding on the ground
in Pennington County on April 30.

While at Agassiz NWR IN Marshall County watching for the Eurasian
wigeon, I saw BLUE-WINGED TEAL, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, GADWALL, MALLARD,
BUFFLEHEAD, and PIED-BILLED GREBE.

Thanks to Barb and Denny Martin, Benjamin Eckhoff, Linda Schumann ,
Marshall Howe, Sandy Aubol, Shelley Steva, and Wyatt Nelson for their
reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask]
<blocked::mailto:[log in to unmask]> OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, May 7,
2014.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN