MOU-RBA Archives

February 2013

From:
Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Beneke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:28:32 -0700
I had a hard time getting to work today, because of all the bird activity!

There was a single eastern bluebird along Benton CR 47 in the Donovan Lake area this morning - this is about 5 miles SE of St. Cloud.

There was a Wilson's snipe feeding along the edge of the St. Francis River, south side of CR 4 - Sherburne NWR both yesterday and this morning.

There was a juv golden eagle soaring around at the junction of CR's 3 and 5, north end of Sherburne NWR about about 12:15 today.

And at 12:30 a gorgeous black and white-plumaged rough-legged hawk on the north side of CR 9, just west of the Blue Hill Trail service road that goes up along the spruce/pine forest - Sherburne NWR.  This is about 1.5 miles west of refuge headquarters.  The bird was picking away at a raccoon carcass when I went by, and when I turned around for a better look, it flew and landed in a nearby tree for a few minutes, then flew and soared overhead for a couple more minutes.  At that point, I left, so it could continue foraging.  Refuge biologist, Sally Zodrow, also got to see this bird.

Bald eagles and red-tailed hawks are soaring all over the place.  And there are large flocks of tree sparrows around the refuge, and increasing numbers of horned larks along area county roads.

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR