MOU-RBA Archives

April 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Shawn Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 11:19:33 -0600
Kyle is correct...the male Barrow's Goldeneye is a pretty easy ID and was
quite approachable.  I was able to note the teardrop-shaped spot behind the
bill, the mostly black back with white spots, the lack of green irridescence
that I could see on the Commons, the forward-sloping crown on the head, and
the smallish bill.  It did associate with a female Common for a while.  If
you're looking into the treatment facility, the bird was on the first pond
on the right side at noon today.  It's a good idea to check in at the main
facility about 4(?) blocks N-NW of the actual ponds along River Road, but on
the east side of the road.

Thanks for the report, Kyle.
--
Shawn Conrad