MOU-RBA Archives

January 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Loss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 17:15:06 -0700
The mixed gull flock that has graced the stretch of Mississippi River between St. Paul and Hastings over the last month was re-found this evening further downriver in Prescott, Wisconsin.  The flock included 1 adult Iceland Gull (likely the 3rd time I have seen this individual, in the 3rd different location), 2 Thayer's Gulls (1 adult, 1 first cycle), plus the numerous Herrings and few Ring-billeds.  The gulls were viewed from the marina just south of downtown Prescott on the east side of the river; however, they were seen flying and swimming back and forth from MN to WI.

I attempted to spot the previously reported Barrow's Goldeneye from Point Douglas just across the river, without success; though it wasn't a thorough search due to the bitterly cold wind in my face.  Hundreds of goldeneyes remain viewable from Pt. Douglas, and this would be another spot to scan for gulls if they're not at the marina.

Scott Loss
St. Paul