MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

From:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:09:25 -0700
As Dave Benson posted yesterday, the Golden-crowned Sparrow at Brad
Snelling's feeder in Duluth has not been reported since early Sunday
morning. I just heard from Brad who said he had been watching for it
again today with no luck. Unfortunately, then, it has to be assumed
for now that the bird is no longer present, but Brad promised to post
it on mou-net if it should reappear.

Again, the sparrow first appeared after the snowstorm of December 14,
and Brad was unsure that it was a Golden-crowned. He tried to report
it via e-mail to 2 birders he knew for confirmation of its ID, but
there was no response. (I'm guessing in one case he had the wrong e-
mail address, and the other birder has been away from home.) So, the
first anyone else heard of it was late morning of December 20, when he
called me to report his still-unidentified sparrow was still at his
feeder. He was aware that the Duluth CBC was on the 20th, and, since
he suspected it might be a Golden-crowned, he wanted to make sure we
knew about it so it could be included on the CBC. I then gave him my e-
mail address so he could send a photo and get a positive ID, and I
called a few Duluth birders to let them know of this unidentified
sparrow. Its identity was not confirmed until after I got home after
3:00 pm and saw Brad's photo, which has since been posted on the MOU
website's Recently Seen page (http://moumn.org/cgi-bin/recent.pl).

I'm adding this information in case birders were wondering why there
was a delay in reporting this sighting.  Kim Eckert