MOU-RBA Archives

December 2012

From:
Caleb Ashling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Caleb Ashling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:46:12 -0700
Around 1:00 pm this afternoon, I observed an adult Great Black-backed
Gull on Black Dog Lake near the west outflow.  It had a very dark
mantle, dull pink legs, an unstreaked nape and was larger than nearby
Herring Gulls.  An eagle spook all of the gulls off and the Great Black
Backed didn't immediately return but I only waited around a few
minutes.  The American Golden Plover reported yesterday by Conny
Brunell at this location was also still present.  See her post
yesterday for directions.

Poorly digiscoped picture of the Great Black-backed Gull.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22462419@N03/8254842937/in/photostream/

Other interesting birds -
Rough-legged Hawk  -  1 hovering over the Long Meadow Lake marsh complex
American White Pelican - 1 on Black Dog Lake
American Black Duck - 2 on Black Dog Lake
Great Blue Heron - 3 standing together on a sunny bank of the Minnesota
River, apparently just enjoying the warmth because they were about 10
feet away from the water, 1 on Black Dog Lake.

Caleb