MOU-RBA Archives

April 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Frank Gosiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:15:39 -0600
The first one not to see the Red Wing Brown Pelican on Monday
morning.              Sometimes our best laid plans come to naught. I woke
early Monday morning to check the reports. One just came in saying the
Brown Pelican was still in Red Wing at 6:38  in the morning. I was 40
miles North of Brainerd and I thought it would be a safe bet to get to the
bird. 3 1/2 hours later and 200 miles under my belt, I pulled up to the
site. I use to live in Red Wing so it was an easy place to find. I saw two
birders scanning the area intently. I walked up to them and they said they
couldn't find it but we were all willing to keep looking. I made the remark
I was not leaving until I found the bird. One of the other birders phone
rang, and by the look on his face, I knew something was wrong. He told
me the call came from a friend of his who saw a report that a Brown
Pelican was seen flying over Coates.
My heart dropped because I knew Coates wasn't that far away and how
many Brown Pelicans frequent Minnesota. He also said the bird was on the
fly and heading North. I ate my words and left without finding the bird. I
went to Lake Byllesby,  Coates and scoured the area, but it was like
finding a needle in a haystack. Of course I was angry, I could have left my
guests on Sunday, I could have gotten an earlier start,  or I could have
taken Hwy 52 instead of 61. Anyway the what ifs set in. I grumbled on
and off as I made my way back only relieved by the sighting of a bird, but
during the lulls I festered again. By the time I got back to the cabin I was
better. I just had a day with the birds and they all don't turn out like we
plan, but a day never the less. I read the reports and others said they
couldn't believe the blind luck they had by spotting the bird in mid-air
while they were en-route to Red Wing. Milt Blomberg called me from a jet
as he returned from New Mexico. I told him my story. He reminded me of
something Ron Erpelding once said: When it comes to birding and I am
given a choice between well laid plans and luck, I will take luck any day.
It seems to work for Ron!!!!  Have a good day birding and go with what
may come. P.S. I do feel a little guilty for thinking I should have left my
guests on a Christian holy day and gone after the bird a day earlier.
Sometimes when it comes to birding my priorities are a little amiss.
Frank Gosiak  Little Falls