MOU-RBA Archives

July 2010

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Linda Sparling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:33:28 -0600
Sunday, July 25 I relocated one of the three Clark's Grebes reported earlier by Denny and Barb Martin.  Sadly, the bird seemed to be critically injured - one foot was extended behind and twisted up.  It tried several times to stretch the leg, only to have it return to the same twisted position.  The bird cannot swim, dive or fly.  It was close to shore on the south side of Lake Gorman, SW of Morris.  If I'd had a boat, I would have tried to rescue the bird.  I was able to get pictures showing the classic orange bill and eyes fully in the white portion of the of the head.

Just to the west of the lake, on the south side of 270th is a very small puddle surrounded by corn.  In it was a side-by-side pair of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, a Semipalmated SP and a Spotted SP.  I mention the puddle because it's been there for a week.  A week ago when I found it there were more shore birds of a greater variety than I saw today.

Linda Sparling