MOU-RBA Archives

December 2012

From:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Bardon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:16:05 -0700
Early this morning around 9:30 am I found an adult
Slaty-backed Gull at the Superior Entry, Duluth/Superior, where it was seen on
both the Minnesota and Wisconsin sides of the shipping channel. Later in the
afternoon around 2 pm the same Slaty-backed Gull showed up at Canal Park. At
both locations the bird was very cooperative, coming in very close and giving
us fatntastic views and photographic opportunities. I will post a photo to
MOU-recently seen. As with the Slaty-backeds I found in Duluth in 2009 and
2010, this bird will likely be seen regularly in the coming weeks, with the
best time to look probably at Canal Park in the afternoon, since most gulls in
the area seem to wander that way in the afternoon to loaf and preen before
heading to roost out on the lake.
Gull-watching has been good as usual in Duluth, with overall
counts this season of 13 Great Black-backeds (2 adults, 4 third-cycle,
2 second-cycle, and 5 first-cycle), 7 Icelands (4 adults and 3 first-cycles), at
least 18 Glaucous (4 adults, 2 third-cycles, 5 second-cycles, and 7
first-cycles), and 20+ Thayer’s Gulls. The number of Great Black-backed is impressive, with daily counts as high as 7-8 individuals (and numbers will probably increase as winter progresses)
A good variety of waterfowl are also in the Duluth harbor,
with 13 species of ducks seen yesterday, including a female Wood Duck, female Ring-necked
Duck, and a male Gadwall near WLSSD, a flock of 4 White-winged Scoters off of
Leif Erikson park, while a Lesser Scaup, 4 Greater Scaup, and an adult male
Barrow’s have been all been seen at the Superior Entry. All of these species are somewhat unusual in Duluth in mid-winter. Details of the Barrow’s
were posted to MOU Recently seen by Peder Svingen.
Karl Bardon
Duluth, MN