MOU-RBA Archives

June 2012

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:17:34 -0600
(apology: this post is a day late, and I don't know if this site has
already been reported by someone)

A Hooded Warbler was singing persistently between intersections #30 and #25
of Murphy-Hanrehan Park, on a section which should be accessed from the
Horse Camp area, since flooding between two adjacent water bodies restricts
through-passage from the other direction.  The bird appears to be claiming
territory; it circled all around us, crossing over the path twice, but
rather stealthily. Unlike one seen clearly some weeks ago at Afton, this
one never came out to an open perch, but took care to keep foliage between
us and it, no matter how quietly and carefully we moved in the attempt to
see it.

To check the site, start at Horse Camp trail #30, taking the right-hand
path. Be forewarned there's a wet, muddy spot to be crossed, with a couple
of short logs to help. After this, you climb a rise that brings you face to
face with a clump of sumac and a split in the trail: grass path on the
left, and dirt path on the right. Again, bear right onto the dirt path,
into some woods heading downhill, and after about 125 steps you should hear
the bird calling. By the time you make 145 steps, you'll be about parallel
to the south edge of the bird's circle.

Linda Whyte