MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jim & Carol Tveekrem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:09:08 -0700
FINALLY!  late this morning an unambiguous Hoary Redpoll showed up at
our feeders.  New yardbird, and the first Hoary I have been comfortable
identifying as such.  Bird was with Common redpolls and Pine Siskins, a
male with pale pink on chest and rump, very few pale streaks on sides,
no streaks on rump (unlike the other redpolls, this one did not close
the wingtips tightly across its back, giving me a clear look at the
rump), much more white edging to secondaries, and shorter appearing
beak/longer facial feathers.  Got two good looks at the bird before the
whole flock took off.  Refilled feeders and tossed more seed on the
ground, but the deer are back licking all that up.

Other than Black-capped Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatches, a lone
White-breasted Nuthatch, and 4 or so Blue Jays, the 25 or so redpolls
and usually an equal number of siskins are the only regular feeder
visitors.  A few days ago the first Pine Grosbeaks of the season turned
up - 3 adult males, 3 female/SY male.  Our crabapple and mountain ash
trees are still full of berries, ditto for the highbush cranberry
(Viburnum) down by the trail to Fr. Baraga's Cross.  We have seen no
waxwings of either species, although a friend in Tofte reported some a
couple weeks ago (unsure of species).  Abundant fruit crop everywhere
this past fall so Bohemian waxwings may arrive very late winter or not
at all.  No shrikes, no Gray Jays, seems like fewer Ravens, but quite a
few Am. Crows are sticking around.  Bald Eagles quite common along the
shore.

Carol Tveekrem,
Schroeder