MOU-RBA Archives

July 2010

Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:16:28 -0600

Least Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Barn Swallow
Brown Thrasher
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 22, 2010
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 22,
2010 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This has been a quiet week in the northwest. All have been busy raising
families, including humankind. A few sightings were noted, however, and
as we move ever closer to August, there will be more reports.

In Polk County at East Grand Forks on July 20, Ron Fischer observed that
the BALD EAGLE pair nesting on River Road have produced an eaglet which
is very near to flying. At the home of Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks,
Sandy observed a COOPER'S HAWK, RED-TAILED HAWK, and BROWN THRASHER on
July 14.

On July 17, Shelley Steva and I saw SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, KILLDEER,
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, MARBLED GODWIT, LEAST SANDPIPER,
STILT SANDPIPER, WISON'S SNIPE, and WILSON'S PHALAROPE - all at Joe
River WMA. This WMA is at the end of a road, about which we were warned,
that if it rained, we had exactly 2 minutes to get out or face the
possibility of a prolonged stay. The WMA is almost on the Canadian
border, and if you should go, be sure to check the clouds while you are
still on the county road. One dowitcher species and some SANDHILL CRANES
were also seen in the county.

In Roseau County at the Roseau River WMA we saw HOODED MERGANSERS, two
pairs of COMMON LOONS with chicks, and a BARN SWALLOW on the nest.

Thanks to Ron Fischer, and Sandy Aubol for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, July 29,
2010

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN