MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Dunlap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2009 20:46:50 -0600
This afternoon while conducting a Nicollet County Big Day, Chad Heins,
Dedrick Benz, and I found an adult male Blue Grosbeak at the gravel
pits along 506th St. south of Courtland. 506th St. parallels the MN
River, and the gravel pits are just east of where the road bends east
after about half a mile. The pits are on the north side of the road.
The bird was singing loudly and quite visibly from the trees near the
road. I believe this is a first county record.

Also of note today in Nicollet County:

-158 species between 2 a.m. and 9 p.m.
-Swainson's Hawk at public boat access on south side of Swan Lake
-Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows at two locations: 1) bird seen along
the grassy trail between the lake and the ponds at the WMA one mile
north of the town of Nicollet on the east side of Hwy. 111, and 2) one
bird singing mid-afternoon at the public boat access on the south side
of Swan Lake
-3 Connecticut Warblers at Seven-Mile Creek County Park
-Cerulean Warbler at Seven-Mile Creek County Park
-Alder (vocalizing) and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers at Seven-Mile Creek
County Park
-Common Loon flying over St. Peter

Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County