MOU-RBA Archives

February 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Bill Tefft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:06:49 -0700
Steve Wilson who collected boreal owls while working for the MN DNR in past
years of boreal starvation, has contacted the Univ. of MN, the DNR Wildlife
Office; and the Chicago Field Museum.  Although Steve is now retired, his
inquiry led to the information that our area manager in Tower, MN is
accepting owls that are turned and they will then be delivered to the Field
Museum.

If you find an owl, record accurate time and place information, put it in a
sealed plastic bag, and keep it frozen.  Then deliver it to Tom Rusch, our
local wildlife manager, in the Tower, DNR Wildlife office.  The collected
birds will then be picked up for delivery to the Field Museum.  The birds
are being taken to that location, because of the museum's ability and
interest in processing these birds.

I would imagine that other area wildlife offices would provide the same
service.

Bill Tefft
Ely, MN

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Charlene Nelson <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Is anyone collecting deceased birds for necropsy ?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Feb 27, 2013, at 9:32 AM, linda whyte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe if there were more local publicity alerting non-birders to the
> > current plight of the Boreals, people would be willing  to monitor their
> > condition, and take some action on their behalf if they seem to be faring
> > poorly. It does seem sad that only two of them have made it to the Raptor
> > Center so far. (Both are doing well.)
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Cindy Risen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> >> Noticed a few reports of dead owls, if anyone is keeping track of where
> >> Boreal Owls have been seen, I have a report of one that spend a couple
> of
> >> days at a farm in Aitkin County. Didn’t hear about it until the
> homeowner
> >> wondered why “his” owl had died. It was about 2 miles west of McGregor
> >> early last week.
> >>
> >> Cindy Risen
> >>
> >> ----
> >> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html