MOU-RBA Archives

April 2012

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ben Harste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 22:41:05 -0600
Before anybody freaks out, this is only a remote possibility but I figured
it was worth sharing.

This morning in Bloomington I was standing outside when I noticed a lone
Pelican flying very slowly and very low for a pelican, maybe 20-30 feet
high, barely over the top of the trees.  I've never really seen an American
White Pelican flying alone and I've never seen a flock of pelicans flying
low or in a straight line, I always see them high up, in a large group,
flying in large circles.

Seeing a pelican alone was exciting being the first of the year, but as I
watched it go straight overhead I noted that I could not see ANY white on
it. Once I noticed how dark it was I looked for any sign of black wingtips,
white body, or any distinguishing features but only saw that it was
uniformly dark underneath.

These features, combined with the odd behavior led me to tentatively
believe I just watched a Brown Pelican fly overhead.  Sadly I did not have
binoculars or camera so I am definitely not confirming it, but I am not
ruling out the possibility either.  It was flying NE roughly the direction
of the airport when I saw it.

As always, any input is always welcome and keep an eye out for Brown
Pelicans! :-)

Ben Harste
Bloomington, MN