MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

From:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Bruhnke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:50:29 -0600
I arrived at Sax-Zim Bog this afternoon around 3:30pm, and birdwatched
until sunset. The first bird I saw in the bog was a gorgeous Northern
Shrike perched on a power line. One of the biggest highlights of the
evening was seeing three Trumpeter Swans swimming and feeding on Stone
Lake. They were seen from the first lake-viewing area (the first bend in
Stone Lake Road).

One of the other fun things that I discovered this afternoon, is that
Pileated Woodpeckers can keep up a sustained flight speed of at least
27mph. While I was driving on one of the roads this evening, a Pileated
Woodpecker was flying parallel with the road (maybe ~150 feet away).  I
noticed that it was matching my speed as I hit 27mph, and it held that
speed for a considerable amount of time before it landed on a tree to
likely roost for the night. My list from this afternoon is below.

Trumpeter Swan - 3
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 (adult)
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Shrike - 1
American Crow
Common Raven
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Gray Jay
Snow Bunting
Common Redpoll

And some pictures from this evening... Enjoy!

Trumpeter Swans
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425717

Black-capped Chickadees (there was a flock of at least 18 chickadees)
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425713

Common Redpolls
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425714

Afternoon Moon at the Bog
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425718

Gray Jay (first shot is of one in-flight, with food in the bill... likely
preparing to cache food for the winter)!
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425715
http://www.pbase.com/image/139425716

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr