MOU-RBA Archives

January 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jim Lind <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 19:13:02 -0700
There was a message on the Duluth RBA from Eric(?) Hanson that he saw a Boreal Owl in
east Duluth today on the 1500 block of Vermilion Road.  I'm not real familiar with this
neighborhood, but Google Maps puts it somewhere between Hawthorne Road and Wallace
Avenue.

I also relocated the Boreal Owl in Two Harbors at dusk today, west of 3rd Street between 1st
and 2nd Avenue.  After quickly running down the alley so I could (finally) get it for my yard list,
I ran into three visiting birders from Ohio and the Twin Cities who were looking for the bird.
We relocated it and watched it hunt around a cedar hedge, then heard the distress calls of
what was probably a House Sparrow.  The owl landed on my neighbor's fence under their
flood light with the songbird in its talons, giving all three birders good looks at their lifer Boreal
Owl.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors