MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ben Harste <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:00:43 -0700
We went to Lake Calhoun this afternoon and the Long-tailed Duck was still
present on the SW side of the lake swimming with many Canada Geese.  At
times she was getting fairly close to the southern side of the SW corner
and was close enough to take alright pictures for a minute or so.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6390768405/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6390767327/

Far out, near the center of the lake were six Horned Grebes.  They were
extremely hard to see with any detail, although we were best able to see
them from the east side of Lake Calhoun from the parking lot near E Calhoun
Pky and W 36th Street.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6390769035/

And the strangest siting of the day was a Canada Goose with an odd nearly
Barnicle Goose-looking face.  All other features of it looked like a normal
Canada Goose except the white on his face.  I don't think it is a hybrid,
but rather just some sort of anomaly, but if somebody who knows better
thinks otherwise or has other input, please let me know.  The pictures I
got were while its head was back, but you can still see the face.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mnbirder/6390766141/

Also present on the lake:
Hooded Merganser - 15 (middle)
Common Goldeneye - 17 (middle)
Common Loon - 1 (south side of lake)
Ring-necked Duck - 1 (middle-south)
Gulls - Unidentified

Overall, a fun time had at Lake Calhoun, and definitely the best weather I
have seen a Long-tailed Duck in, neither cold nor windy.

Ben Harste
Bloomington, MN