MOU-RBA Archives

November 2014

From:
Jesse Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jesse Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 08:36:17 -0700
Hello All-

I wanted to pass this on. Clinton Niehaus posed on the Minnesota Birding
Facebook group that he's seen photos of the purported Red-throated Loon
seen near or at the same site as the Common Eiders yesterday, but that the
loon looked far more consistent with a PACIFIC LOON.

I have copied that message here in the hopes that this can be corroborated
either by photos from yesterday or new sightings today.

"Hi everyone! I have clarification note for the group of birders from
Minneapolis (who hopefully also use this FB site) who saw the common eiders
today (11/13) at 21st Ave. here in Duluth. The group also saw a loon which
was ID'd as a Red-throated Loon. I saw pictures of this bird this evening
and it is not a Red-throated Loon, but instead a Pacific Loon!! The bird in
the photo was solidly dark in the back and neck and head, with white not
extending deep into the face, as you would see in a winter plumage
Red-throated Loon. Also noted on the photo was the classic "necklace" that
you would see in a winter plumage Pacific Loon. The bird was also holding
its bill straight as opposed to raised at an angle, as you would again
expect a Red-throated Loon to do. I personally did not see the bird, but
the photo was clear as day Pacific Loon!! Another note if you are to look
for this bird, it was seen hunting east up the shore in the afternoon, so
perhaps it is a little further along up the shore than 21st Ave. Thanks!" -
Clinton Niehaus

Good birding!
Jesse

--