MOU-RBA Archives

April 2019

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2019 19:28:13 -0600

Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Western Meadowlark
Red-winged Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: April 11, 2019
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, April 11,
2019 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

After a nice long slow melt, we are now white again in the northwest. As
I speak the blizzard has reached Thief River Falls, but It appears that
this area will get lucky and not get the huge amount of snow that others
are gifted with. The birds must know something we did not, as not many
new species have arrived in the far northwest this week. The ice went
out of our river here yesterday so waterfowl will be coming in after the
storm is over. We are getting reports of all the resident raptors, and
the rough-legged hawks are migrating through. Eagles are sitting on
eggs. Horned larks are pairing up, and before this latest snow, many
fields were nearly snow free. American robins, common grackles, American
kestrels, red-winged blackbirds, and many dark-eyed juncos have arrived
in all counties of the northwest.

Grant County in the southern part of our area is reporting nearly all
species of ducks and other waterfowl. Wayne Perala was at the N. Ottawa
impoundment on April 6, where , in addition to the ducks he reported
AMERICAN COOT, RING-BILLED GULL, NORTHERN HARRIER, SONG SPARROW,
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and WESTERN MEADOWLARK. The large flocks of snow
geese have departed, and I have seen reports that they are back in North
Dakota on their way to the breeding grounds. That doesn't mean that
there are none still in our area, just that the large group has left.

Jason Swelstad observed an AMERICAN PIPIT in Otter Tail County on April
7. Dave McRoberts reported 20 AMRICAN ROBINS and a flock of CEDAR
WAXWINGS near Battle Lake on April 11. Other species seen in Fergus
Falls, Otter Tail County, this week included NORTHERN FLICKER, EASTERN
PHOEBE, HORNED GREBE, AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN, GREAT EGRET, and
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT .

From Kabekona Lake in Hubbard County, Becca Engdahl continues to report
the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW that has over-wintered there.

Leon Thoreson near Climax in Polk County reported a NORTHERN SAW-WHET
OWL calling near his place on April 10th. An EASTERN PHOEBE was reported
in East Grand Forks by Sandy Aubol on April 6. Also on the 6th, Zeann
Linder observed a flock of twelve SANDHILL CRANES migrating north of
Brooks.

Gary Tischer reported a KILLDEER , SANDHILL CRANES, and TRUMPETER SWANS
in Pennington County on April 5. DARK-EYED JUNCOS have greatly increased
in numbers here this week, and tonight there were several PURPLE FINCHES
at our feeder.

A NORTHERN PINTAIL was seen by Gary Tischer in Marshall County northeast
of Thief River Falls this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the
county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this
report is Thursday, April 18, 2019

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN