MOU-RBA Archives

April 2011

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 21:06:04 -0600
Thanks to Laura Coble for advising me to check out some gulls at L.
Byllesby and shorebirds at Randolph Industrial Park. The
recently-arrived gulls were quite vocal. I took them at first to be a
flock of all Bonaparte's, but the peach color of the breasts on some
of them as they lifted off, suggested at least some of them were
Franklin's. At the Randolph Industrial Park, there were 4 foraging
Wilson's Phalaropes in the pond next to the church, and another in the
largest pond to the north.
Thanks to Jim Otto for telling us about the Yellow-headed Blackbirds
he found at the 180th St Marsh yesterday. Jen Vieth re-found them
today, and we counted at least 4 among the Red-wings. There were also
@ 9 Greater Yellowlegs in the grass on the east shore of the marsh,
and a Green-winged Teal among the many waterfowl species on the south
side of the road.
Last but not least, thanks to Diana Doyle for posting the Western
Grebe on L. Nokomis. It was indeed a very co-operative bird, staying
close to the boat ramp.
Linda Whyte