MOU-RBA Archives

November 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:31:55 -0700
Hi everyone,
  John Hockema and I decided to try for the Freeborn County Black Scoters found by Ron Erpelding and Herb Dingmann yesterday (thanks guys!). We were successful in first finding one, looking east from just south of the office, at Myre-Big Island State Park. We found another two together from the south side of the lake along CR 19, just east of the St. Nicholas Historical Marker.

  John and I were very impressed and delighted in the amount and variety of waterfowl still present here and at Lake Geneva.

  Also at Lake Geneva, along the west side of the lake, we had a very late Common Yellowthroat among the cattails there! We first heard it chipping and then got a visual. John more so than I. I'm not sure what the late date or median is for this species but I was amazed to see one still around!

  Also of note, we ended up with 14 duck species (including the scoters), and there were still some Bonaparte's Gulls hanging around Lake Geneva.

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2