MOU-RBA Archives

April 2014

From:
Eric Daigre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Daigre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 09:35:48 -0600
Since no one has posted about this, I'll follow up Alyssa's post with what
I know.

Apparently, an adult male Eurasian Wigeon was first spotted by Ben Douglas
and photographed by Gerald Hoekstra late in the day on Saturday April 5th
at Lake Byllesby (Dakota County).  This information was not posted to the
listserv per se; however, a photo appeared on the "Recently Seen" page.

Scores of birders looked for it yesterday (Sunday the 6th).  It is my
understanding that the Eurasian Wigeon was seen fairly early on Sunday
morning, but that no one saw it from about 8:00 am to mid-afternoon.  I
left mid-afternoon, and I don't know whether or not it was seen again later
in the day.  Does anyone else know?  There seemed to be a lot of informal
communication among everyone as they staked out various parts of the lake
and put in their time scanning and searching, though no official details
were posted to the listserv.

To be sure, there were a handful of Wigeons seen at various points, but too
often the lighting and distance made it difficult to tell whether a
Eurasian Wigeon was among them.

If anyone has additional information, updates -- or corrections to what
I've said here (as I could be wrong) -- could you post to the listserv?
I'm sure a lot of birders would be interested.

Eric Daigre
Minneapolis