MOU-RBA Archives

November 2015

From:
Gordon Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordon Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:00:02 -0700
There was a NOMO in Two Harbors seen about 1500 hrs near the Muncipal Water
Treatment Plant.  I drove Southwest from Burlington Bay on the lake road and
saw the bird on the grass left of the big yellow sign on the corner with
South St.  He was about 40-50 ft away.   I stopped in the street and s/he
flew to the top of the sign.  I reached for my telephoto on the seat with
one hand and pulled the door handle with the other.  In that time s/he
disappeared.  I walked down the hiking trail next to the plant, to the
bottom and also N on South St but did not see it again.  I drove back again
45 mins later and did not see him/her from the streets.

No question on the i.d.  He was flicking his wings as NOMOs do (white
flashes) when I saw him facing me from the grass.  If he had stayed on the
sign a few more seconds I would have gotten a black silhouette against the
SW sky (sunny) thru windshield and then, forcing 4 stops over-exposure,
maybe some plumage in another image.

NOMO are "Casual" into S Canada and to AK, but this one seemed also very
late in the season.

I also saw and Did photo a Red-Necked Grebe on the lake at a few 100 yards.

I spent the weekend in Duluth and am only now on computer.

Gordon Andersson

St Paul