MOU-RBA Archives

November 2015

From:
Nathan Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathan Schirmacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:57:25 -0700
All,

There is an adult non-breeding plumage Pacific Loon that is swimming a couple hundred yards offshore from the kathio state park beach area on Mille Lacs County Road 35 or the scenic route along Mille Lacs Lake. Observed swimming with five other common loons of both adult and juvenile plumage. Appeared smaller than all the other commons around it. Thin necklace and classic darker back comparatively to the other loons as well as the sloped head. So far nothing else on the lake other than a good movement of horned grebes. I have seen Pacific Loon from this beach in the past and have experience with this species in multiple Midwestern states. Unfortunately it is to far out for pictures.Overall the numbers of the loons on the lake has been pretty low so far but still making my way north. Will swing by again on my way south to see if it comes closer to shore for pictures.

Nate Schirmacher
Maple Grove, MN
Hennepin County