MOU-RBA Archives

December 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 2009 20:38:34 -0700
Hey birders,

I was notified of a Varied Thrush visiting a feeding station in rural Nicollet County and was able to verify it this afternoon.  The bird has apparently been around for a couple of weeks and I placed a picture in the "Recently Seen" section on the MOU website.  The owners seem friendly enough and we may be able to post further directions and contact information in the near future.

While viewing the bird, a Northern Shrike made a pass at the juncos feeding under the feeder which made the visit even more exciting.  Other birds along the Judson Bottom Road between Mankato and Courtland: American Tree Sparrow, American Robin, Brown Creeper, and Northern Flicker.

We also saw a Common Grackle coming into a feeding station west of the Minneopa State Park Entrance on Hwy 68.  It was at the first house on the north side of the highway.  The female Belted Kingfisher also continues to hang in there at the Blue Earth River and is best viewed from Land of Memories City Park off of Hwy 169/60.

Happy Birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN