MOU-RBA Archives

November 2011

From:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chad Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:23:20 -0700
Last Friday I stumbled across a gull at Gilfillin Lake in
Hey birders,

Last Friday I stumbled across a gull at Gilfillin Lake in northeastern Blue Earth County.  The bird was in adult, basic plumage, had a dark eye, no ring on the bill, and did not look large enough to be a Herring Gull.  Unfortunately, the bird flew off (pretty black wing tips) and I was unable to get a look at the leg color to clinch.  Dave Johnson found a similar (the same?) bird on Saturday in the same location, but was not able to make out eye color (but yellow legs).  Yesterday, I located a gull on the south side of Eagle Lake that was the right size, appeared to have yellow legs, but the distance did not permit me to determine eye color or beak characteristics.  Now I'm going to be stuck in the office a couple of days.

Blue Earth County is a great place to go birding.  I'm hoping someone else can get out and look for this bird again.

Other species seen over the weekend and yesterday: Trumpeter and Tundra Swans, Bufflehead, Northern Shoveler, American Coot, Pectoral Sandpiper!, Lesser Scaup, Common Merganser, Northern Shrike, Chipping Sparrow, Harris' Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Common Redpoll, Pine Siskin, Bonaparte's Gull.

Happy Birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato

"But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?" --Job 12:7, 9