MOU-RBA Archives

September 2012

From:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Ekblad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 02:08:29 -0600
I spotted an adult Loggerhead Shrike in Grant County on Tues (9/5).  It was
northeast of the North Ottawa Impoundment on 270th St approx ¾ of a mile
east of 300th Ave (east of the farm with the house number 29458).  This spot
is SW of Wendell; 3.2 miles west of CR11 and 2 miles south of CR55, just a
short distance from Mud Lake.

It was perched on a post and flew up to the power line after I passed by.
It was all by itself in a fairly open area.

By the way, Ash Lake is now very dry and I found only a few Killdeer –
nothing else.  There was a small strip in the NE corner with some water with
grass growing in it but it was void of any birds (i.e., no American
Golden-Plovers, Buff-breasted Sandpipers or Red-necked Phalaropes that had
been reported a week ago).  I was able to spot 14 American Golden-Plovers
hanging out at the NW corner of the North Ottawa Impoundment (just south of
260th St at the county line with Traverse).

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota
http://www.Birding-Minnesota.com