MOU-RBA Archives

September 2013

From:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Conny Brunell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:09:12 -0600
This morning at Purgatory Creek Wetlands in Eden Prairie, Hennepin County there were two exciting birds out on the islands.  Steve Carlson and I observed a Hudsonian Godwit, and an juvenile Sabine's Gull from 9:00 - 9:30 am.  The Sabine's was by itself along the edges of the mudflat walking in the water, and we enjoyed the beautiful, distinctive wing pattern when it flew a short distance.  There are many Franklin's Gulls on the mudflat so caution should be observed when searching.

Purgatory Wetlands is in Eden Prairie, Hennepin County.  It is south from State Hwy 5 on Prairie Center Drive about 1/4 mile on the southside of Prairie Center Drive.  You will see Purgatory Recreation Area and the Flagship Corporate Center and can park in either lot to walk the paved trail around the wetlands.  A good viewing area, and where we observed the birds  is behind the office building on the bridge that overlooks the wetland area and mudflats.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Co.