MOU-RBA Archives

February 2018

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jeanie Joppru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:57:08 -0700
-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*February 22, 2018
*MNDL1802.22

-Birds mentioned
Gray Partridge
Snowy Owl
Northern Hawk Owl
Boreal Owl
Northern Shrike
Bohemian Waxwing
Snow Bunting
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: February 22, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, February
22, 2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

Some parts of the northwest have received some snow this week, but in
the far northwest, so far not much has accumulated. There is little
evidence of migration yet, if we don't consider the snowy owls that are
undoubtedly moving north, as we are seeing and hearing of more of them
in recent weeks. This week I have heard of one snowy owl in Pennington,
one more in Red Lake, one in Marshall, and one in Kittson County . Hoary
redpolls were reported this week in Marshall, Polk, and Hubbard
counties.

Ben Stubbs reported a BOREAL OWL seen and photographed in Roseau County
on February 15. A NORTHERN HAWK OWL and several groups of SNOW BUNTINGS
were seen by Shelley Steva and I in the county on February 16.

In Kittson County, Shelley and I found one SNOWY OWL, a NORTHERN SHRIKE,
and SNOW BUNTINGS on February 16.

John Hess reported a RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD in Marshall County on February
21.

Here in Pennington County, I had a flock of about fifty BOHEMIAN
WAXWINGS visit the year on February 18. Most of the fruit is now gone,
and the waxwings have moved on.

Shelley Steva found seven GRAY PARTRIDGE near Brooks in Red Lake County
on February 21.

Sandy Aubol in East Grand Forks , Polk County, reports DARK-EYED JUNCO,
and a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at her feeders.

Perry Brown observed a NORTHERN SHRIKE in his yard in Detroit Lakes,
Becker County on February 15.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, March 1,
2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN