MOU-RBA Archives

May 2015

From:
Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Herb Dingmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2015 20:58:49 -0600
Ron Erpelding and I found a couple of interesting birds today up in NW Minnesota.

First we located a single Clark's Grebe associating with a pair of Western Grebes at the Karlstad WTP in Kittson County.  Butch Ukura and Jeannie Joppru were both able to see the bird later, and Butch said he took lots of pictures, which I'm sure will be my better than my couple of crummy ones.  The bill on the Clark's was bright yellow versus a greenish yellow, the black at the top of the head did not go below the eye as it did with the Westerns, and the flanks were noticeably lighter than on the Westerns.

We then went to Agassiz NWR in Marshall County and found a Eurasian Wigeon on the Mud River Pool on the refuge.  This is in an area ("Enhanced Access area") that requires a key from the staff to get to.  One of the staff later refound the bird and has posted it to eBird.

Herb Dingmann
St. Cloud