MOU-RBA Archives

November 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Jeanie Joppru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 18:07:36 -0700
The Lewis's Woodpecker was seen this afternoon in both Roseau and Lake of
the Woods Counties. I was there until 3:45pm and the bird was still feeding
back and forth between the two counties on either side of the road. I did
not see either homeowner, but parked along the side street where I could see
both yards. The home in Lake of the Woods County has in fact more feeders,
and while I was there , it spent most of its time there. A pileated
woodpecker tried to drive it away from the small gray house, but the bird
has learned to flatten itself against the back side of a tree where the PIWO
won't see it. If you go, please do not park in or near the end of the
driveway of the gray house as the feeder is very close to the road. Do try
to get a photo. So far no one has succeeded in getting a good one. Be
careful about parking along CR 17 as it is a very busy road with almost no
shoulder.

Again the location is along CR 17 north of MN 11 in the town of Roosevelt,
the first house( gray) on the left after you cross the tracks ( or the first
house on the right sometimes!). I do not know if the Lake of the Woods
homeowner knows of the bird. I tried to rouse them to let them know, but no
one answered the door. CR 17 is the county line between Roseau and Lake of
the Woods Counties.
Jeanie

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN