MOU-RBA Archives

December 2008

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Loss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:30:25 -0700
The St. Croix River at Point Douglas Park (MN, along US Hwy 10) was almost completely frozen when I visited early Monday afternoon.  Likewise, there were only a few small areas of open water underneath the railroad bridge.  However, all the birds previously reported from this area were still present in the wide open water viewable from the marina in Prescott, WI (viewed along Front St. a couple hundred yards south of the railroad tracks).

Harlequin Duck (male) - in with a group of Goldeneyes on the far (west) side of the open water.  Difficult to view given the thick steam rising over the water.  The bird was likely in Minnesota waters.

The below gulls were all viewed close in to the WI shoreline, but all flew over into MN airspace when a Bald Eagle approached:

Great Black-backed Gull (1) - 1st cycle
Lesser Black-backed Gull (1) -1st cycle
Glaucous Gull (1) - 1st cycle
Thayer's Gull (at least 2) - Adult
Herring - several

Not found by me, an Iceland Gull was also seen in this area by other birders.

Scott Loss
St. Paul