MOU-RBA Archives

July 2009

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 19:39:24 -0600

Connecticut Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Le Conte's Sparrow
Chestnut-collared Longspur
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 9, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 9,
2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This has been a dry and very pleasant week in the northwest. Birds and
people are going about their business without the many weather
interruptions that we had been having, and baby birds are coming out
everywhere. For those interested in flowers, this is the time to see
Minnesota's state flower, the Showy Lady's Slipper, blossoming now a bit
late this year.

Gretchen Mehmel, Beth Siverhus, and I conducted the Rapid River BBS on
July 6 in the Beltrami Island State Forest in Lake of the Woods County.
During the course of the survey, we found BARRED OWL, WINTER WREN,
HERMIT THRUSH, GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, CONNECTICUT
WARBLER, and MOURNING WARBLER among many other species. Next day Shelley
Steva and I found PINE WARBLER and BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, also in Lake of
the Woods County.

Shelley Steva saw an AMERICAN REDSTART in Pennington County on July 8
near the intersection of CR 10 and CR 3. On July 7, in the Smiley BBA
block, we saw four SHORT-EARED OWLS in two separate locations. Two
COMMON RAVENS were also seen there.

In Red Lake County on July 1, Shelley saw an AMERICAN BITTERN 2 miles
north of US 2 along MN 32.

While in Polk County on July 4 , Shelley Steva observed a pair of
SANDHILL CRANES with a colt six miles south of the intersection of US 2
and MN 32; on the 8th, she found a WESTERN KINGBIRD along CR 19 two
miles west of it's intersection with CR 20. There was also a RUDDY DUCK
in the Grand Marais creek along CR 19. Danielle Kvasager at Rydell NWR
reported TRUMPETER SWAN, GREEN HERON, and RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER among
others seen this week at the refuge. Pat DeWenter was at Rydell NWR on
July 3 where she saw a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO and a SCARLET TANAGER. Along
CR 45 she saw a SHORT-EARED OWL and LE CONTE'S SPARROW.

At Felton Prairie in Clay County on July 3, Pat DeWenter found a singing
WILLOW FLYCATCHER . In addition, she saw UPLAND SANDPIPER, MARBLED
GODWIT, SEDGE WREN, and CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR.

Thanks to Danielle Kvasager, Gretchen Mehmel, Pat DeWenter, and Shelley
Steva for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, July 16,
2009.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN