MOU-RBA Archives

September 2009

From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:14:55 -0600

Bonaparte's Gull
Franklin's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Great Horned Owl
Swainson's Thrush
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 3, 2009
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September
3, 2009 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

This week we have been having weather that everyone would have liked to
have had all summer - warm temperatures and little wind. Migration is
progressing with hawks overhead, and warblers appearing in flocks. We
are all watching for the proverbial fallout.

In Otter Tail County, Dan and Sandy Thimgan visited the wastewater
treatment ponds in the county on August 29. During their tour, they saw
BLUE-WINGED TEAL, MALLARD, WOOD DUCK, KILLDEER, SOLITARY SANDPIPER,
LEAST SANDPIPER, RING-BILLED GULL, FRANKLIN'S GULL, BONAPARTE'S GULL and
an assortment of swallows.

On August 30, John Braastad saw a GOLDEN EAGLE in Polk County at the
junction of CR 68 and CR 23. On that day, Rolf Paulson found about 50
SANDHILL CRANES at mile marker 44.5 on US 2 in the Glacial Ridge area.

Shelley Steva and I birded in Marshall County on August 30. Among the
sightings were BROAD-WINGED HAWK, and 11 species of warbler. Most of the
latter were at Agassiz NWR with a few more species at Thief Lake WMA. At
Agassiz NWR, we found 20 WILSON'S SNIPE at Farmes Pool which we had to
go far out of our way to reach due to construction on the control
structure. Other species seen at the refuge included a GREAT HORNED OWL
at noon, and SWAINSON'S THRUSH. Gregg Knutsen reported a blue phase SNOW
GOOSE among the CANADA GEESE in Headquarters Pool north of CR 7 on
August 30.

Thanks to Dan and Sandy Thimgan, John Braastad, Rolf Paulson, and
Shelley Steva for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September
10, 2009.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN