MOU-RBA Archives

January 2009

From:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Bartkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:56:46 -0700
Hi everyone!
  I re-found the Dodge County Snowy Owl this morning at 11:45 am. It was on the east side of 150th Ave, about 150 yards out, sitting on the ground on the south side of a fenceline that runs east/west. The fenceline is 0.4 miles north of where 700th St. intersects.

  I also found a flock of at least 8 White-winged Crossbills in Owatonna at Sacred Heart Cemetery, which is located at the south end of town off of Cedar Ave, just north of Hwy. 14. There were 6 males and 2 females that I could see, but I'm sure there were a few more. There were also some Pine Siskins feeding with the crossbills.

  Also of note today were 13 Eurasian Collared Doves in the town of Claremont, on the south side of the grain elevator.

  Other highlights today included Northern Shrikes in both Steele and Dodge Counties, as well as several flocks of Snow Buntings. And there was a rather large flock of Common Redpolls near the border of Rice County and Steele County at the intersection of Rice CR 21 & 98. I tried getting a good look in case of a Hoary Redpoll mixed in but the flock was very skittish and didn't perch for more than a second or two before flushing and flying around, only to fly off shortly afterwards.

Pretty fun day!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
Faribault, MN