MOU-RBA Archives

January 2013

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Bruce W. Stahly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2013 08:27:58 -0700
Having seen 5-6 Boreal Owls here at my house (near Grand Marais) over
the years, here is what I have noticed:

In the daytime, they like to perch in a conifer, 6-8 feet from the
ground and about 8-10 inches from the trunk. They are usually well
hidden, and their camouflage and size makes them difficult to spot even
if you are looking. A group of mobbing chickadees is the best signal,
but the chickadees seem to give up after a short time, so it is chancy
that you will be present when the mobbing is in progress. I spotted the
Boreal Owl that I reported on Jan 5 because of a group of mobbing
chickadees. But by the time I went back to the house to get my camera
and return (less than 10 minutes) the chickadees had given up and left.

At night, check the trees around your feeder--again, about 6-8 feet from
the ground, but with a clear view and flight path to the area under the
feeder. They also seem to like a sheltered spot, such as under a deck or
in an open woodshed. I have found that a Boreal Owl will return multiple
times to a feeder, but that they don't seem to be  faithful to their
daytime roosts. In 2005 I had a Boreal Owl come to my feeder for 10
nights in a row, but I have never seen one twice in the daytime in the
same roosting spot.

Sorry to say, but as with many things birding, it is mostly luck.

Bruce Stahly
Grand Marais