MOU-RBA Archives

August 2018

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2018 19:34:47 -0600

American Robin
House Finch
Purple Finch
Orchard Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: August 2, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru ([log in to unmask])

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, August 2,
2018 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report

The last two weeks have been hot ones in the northwest as well as in the
rest of the state. That said, the yard birds have been very busy feeding
all the young mouths in their care. Feeders have been very popular also,
and there have been hordes of young birds brought to the table. Many
have been very difficult to identify, in the absence of bird song and
adult plumage. Gradually this will improve, but in the meantime, enjoy
the show as they try to learn to be adults. Some sightings of species
that we associate with spring migration are now being reported as the
fall migration has already begun for some species.

Wayne Perala has reported on the North Ottawa Impoundment in Grant
County on July 26th. That day he found and photographed a LEAST BITTERN,
a bird which we all would like to see, let along photograph. Also there
was AMERICAN BITTERN, EARED GREBES and WESTERN GREBES with young on
their backs, UPLAND SANDPIPER, WESTERN KINGBIRD, ORCHARD ORIOLE, GREAT
EGRET , and BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON.

In Otter Tail County, Wayne found a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO in Fergus Falls.
Also in Fergus Falls, there were BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON. This would
be a good time to go there to see the young birds at the rookery there.

An OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was reported by Mark Otnes at the Buffalo
River SP in Clay County on July 28.

The Agassiz Valley Impoundment on the Marshall / Polk County line was
hosting BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS, AMERICAN BITTERN, SORA, and WILSON'S
SNIPE on July 26.

Here in Pennington County, we are seeing many young RED-TAILED HAWKS
perched on the power poles in late afternoon and early mornings. In the
yard this week we have many juvenile BALTIMORE ORIOLES, and a family of
young RED-BELLIED WOODPECKERS coming to the feeders, and the bird baths
were very popular with the AMERICAN ROBINS, HOUSE FINCHES, and
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES. On August 1st, three TURKEY VULTURES floated
over the yard. We also have PURPLE FINCHES which have been in the yard
all summer.

If you enjoy this report, please send your sightings of interesting
birds to me weekly. Perhaps you have noticed that some weeks there is no
report. That is due to lack of sightings sent in. I will not promise to
include every one of them, but I will try to include all of the ones
that I think someone else would like to know about. There are not so
very many birders here in the northwest, so we need to share what we see
as others plan their birding trips based on what is reported throughout
the state.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at [log in to unmask] OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the date
and county where the sighting took place. The next regularly scheduled
update of this report is Thursday, August 9, 2018.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN