MOU-RBA Archives

June 2014

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Laura Coble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 09:54:08 -0600
Today, at 8:30 am, I heard two Henslow's Sparrows at McKnight Prairie.  The male flew to a post, and the other stayed hidden in the grass.  I had an excellent view with my scope as he sang for several minutes.  Yesterday, along with some birding friends, I had seen a Henslow's Sparrow on the Afton State Park prairie section, but I really appreciated this closer look at field marks.

Also at McKnight:  Grasshopper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Clay-colored Sparrow (heard only), many Dickcissels. and Brown Thrashers making the "smack" call--not their duple mimid songs.  A flock of Bobolinks are likely nesting in the field to the west of the prairie entrance.  I saw a few flying, but most stayed in the grass, making their crazy bobolink sounds.

McKnight Prairie, a very small preserve, is accessed from Hwy 56, just south of Randolph.  Take 56 south across the bridge. Turn right on Scotia Trail (302nd St.).  Drive west to 2nd Ave., and turn left (south).  Drive to 310th St.  The trail head is on your left.  Park along the side of the road.  The prairie area is to the north, and there is a tree farm to the south of the trail, so stay on the road with the fence line. Enter to the right side of the gate if it isn't open.  More information can be found online if you google "McKnight Prairie, Carleton College".

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls