Re: [mou-net] Sprague's Pipit Refound @ 8:15 a.m. today

Ron Erpelding <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:22:15 -0600

Just got back from the Felton Prairie @ 3:30 p.m. and am pleased to report
that Randy Fredrickson, Joel Schmidt and I first heard and then saw the
Sprague's Pipit from 8:15 to 8:45 a.m. this morning!  Unlike Dedrick Benz
(see email below) we parked next to the road near the south pasture fence
line north of the wind turbines and walked east.  Joel Schmidt first heard
the bird singing not too far from where we parked.  As we walked further
east (1/2 to 3/4 of the way east along the fence line) all three of us could
hear the bird singing on an ongoing periodic basis quite high in the sky.
After searching the sky for some time eventually all three of us had good
looks at the "sky larking "/singing bird.  When Dennis & Barb Martin arrived
around 9:00 a.m. they also heard the singing bird high overhead but
unfortunately  were unable to locate it.  None of us every saw the bird
land.
Later in the morning at the site we met Mark Ottness (Spelling?) from Fargo,
ND who had found a Sprague's Pipit in the same general area 20 years ago and
reported that bird was also singing/"sky larking" at a very high altitude.
Ron Erpelding

-----Original Message-----
From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dedrick
Benz
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 3:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [mou-net] Sprague's Pipit Not Refound

I spent from about 4:30AM until 7:30AM Saturday Morning at Felton Prairie.
Directions were a little vague but I did my best.  I spent most of my time
along the "Longspur Road" south of the large pond south of CR108 and north
of the windmills.  This is kind of a large area to cover so it is entirely
possible I missed it.  I should have probably given it more time, but the
lack of shade and caffeine were getting to me so I moved on!
Dedrick BenzWinona, MN