MOU-RBA Archives

September 2009

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Derek Bakken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:18:43 -0600
Hello,
On my way into work this morning (7:50am) I saw the Black-headed Gull on the
fishing pier at "The Grade" on the north end of Big Spirit Lake.  It was
with about 20 Ring-billed Gulls and a single Franklin's.  The red/orange
legs and bill were very easy to see in the morning sunlight.

For those who don't know, "The Grade" is the part of Jackson County Hwy 2
that splits Spirit Lake into the larger southern Iowa portion and the small
northern Minnesota portion.  The fishing pier is located in the NW corner of
the lake and extends from the road out into the Iowa part of Spirit Lake.

--
Derek Bakken
ornitholature.blogspot.com

Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members
make it!

Also, please report your bird sightings to eBird and/or the IOU/MOU.  The
information gathered is vital to the future of birds.