MOU-RBA Archives

May 2009

From:
Jim Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 May 2009 17:00:36 -0600
Hi Birders!
Out for a mid day casual birding walk with a beginning birder (the lovely
Diane) we encountered a *Hooded Warbler* at the *Schulze Lake portion of
Lebanon Hills Regional Park* (Dakota County).  A Lifer for us! I heard them
for the first time last year in Murphy-Hanrehan doing BBS but never actually
saw one until today.  I hope I find them on my BBS too!

*Specific Directions:*
I found the bird around 3pm singing about 100 ft N of the #41 intersection
on the way towards #47 (the Discovery Trail, I think it's called).
Approaching from the South would get you in there the quickest. We
approached from the North.

Got fairly good looks at it for over a minute as it sang and tussled briefly
with a Red-eyed Vireo.

Other birds of note found today in the park:
*Eastern Wood Pewee* -FOY
*Red-eyed Vireo* -FOY - many
*Indigo Bunting* -FOY
*Eastern Towhee*
*Cooper's Hawk*
*Least Flycatcher*
*Baltimore Orioles*
*Pileated Woodpecker*
*Rose-breasted Grosbeak* -heard only
**
Expected Birds NOT found/heard in the park today:
*Thrushes*
*Other Warblers*
*Great-crested Flycatcher*
*Scarlet Tanager* (hoping for anyways)
*
*--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan
Saint Paul's Westside

--
Your life is what your thoughts make it. - Marcus Aurelius