MOU-RBA Archives

October 2012

From:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:08:48 -0600
Denny and Barb Martin just called from Grand Marais and reported the kingbird had not been seen this morning as far as they know. They looked briefly for it in the vicinity of the Java Moose west of downtown, where I believe all the sightings were Sunday afternoon. There were no mountain ash berries and no activity in the tree by the East Bay Suites where most of the sightings were on Saturday and Sunday morning. However, the bird could easily still be around since it was moving around town quite a bit and disappearing for periods of time over the weekend.

Any birders still heading up to Grand Marais might want to be aware of other birds of note that I'm aware of which were seen up the North Shore by various observers the past few days (these may or may not have been reported on mou-net already, and not all of them were seen by me)….

- 2 imm Gr White-fronted Geese flying by Grand Marais on Saturday
- very few scoters or Long-tailed Ducks; best places to look between Grand Marais and Hovland, incl Paradise Beach
- Red-throated Loon at Iona's Beach in Lake Co on Sunday (mile marker 42)
- Dunlin flying by Grand Marais harbor on Sunday
- First-winter Thayer's Gull in Grand Marais harbor Saturday & Sunday
- Short-eared Owl flying by Good Harbor Bay on Sunday
- Red-bellied Woodpeckers near Emily's in Knife River on Saturday and near Cook Co courthouse in Grand Marais (on 3rd Ave West) on Sunday
- N Mockingbird still present this morning near courthouse in Grand Marais
- several Bohemian Waxwings, mostly in Grand Marais
- both crossbills and Com Redpolls at various locations

Since there were so many observers up the North Shore this weekend, perhaps they can add to the list above.  -Kim

Kim R Eckert
http://www.mbwbirds.com