MOU-RBA Archives

February 2013

From:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 21:02:48 -0700
This afternoon (Sat. Feb. 9) from 3:15-3:45 p.m. Susan Fall and I
watched an immature male King Eider in Lake Superior about 1/2 mile NE
of the Lakewood Pumping Station, Duluth (Lakewood Rd. and Scenic 61). It
was diving frequently, and was associating closely with 3 Common
Goldeneyes and 1 Red-breasted Merganser. At 3:45 the ducks were flushed
by an eagle, and all flew off to the SW toward Brighton Beach. We were
unable to relocate the eider. There was very little open water SW of
where we found the bird, so we don't know where it went. Parker
Backstrom and his wife joined us just in time to see the flock fly.

Bruce and Susan Fall, Minneapolis