MOU-RBA Archives

January 2014

From:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Fall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:03:28 -0700
Many people reported Snowy Owls from the Vermillion area (Dakota Co.) on
12/31 and 1/1. Susan and I saw three each day, of at least four
different individuals. From eBird reports that included specific
location, time, and sometimes description/photo from those two days, I
conclude there were at least seven different individuals within a 3-mile
radius of 180th St. E/Goodwin Ave. intersection. One (which we did not
see) is a sparsely marked presumed adult male reported by several near
190th/Hogan. A different lightly marked presumed adult was near
170th/Emery Ave. Others were more heavily marked. One that we
photographed each day (identified by head pattern) moved about 1.3 miles
between the two sightings. All reports over these two days have been in
the area connected by these points: Emery, 1/4 mi. N of 160th; 170th,
1/4 mi. W of Emery; 180th/Emery; Goodwin/C.R. 47; 180th, 1/2 mi. E of
C.R. 47.

Bruce A. Fall, Minneapolis