MOU-RBA Archives

March 2010

Sender:
Rare Bird Alert <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kelly Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:32:16 -0600
Spent yesterday searching for signs of spring in Polk county.
There was a lot of water in western part of the county. Miles of beet
fields were flooded to the ditches along 75 south of Crookston and
along Cty Hwy 1 east towards Fertile. The wind whipped white caps on
the fields and hundreds of Horned Larks were locked in along the road
edges. All that water, only one pair of Trumpeter Swans and a few C.
Geese could be found.

Glacial Ridge was pretty slow.
A smattering of Sharp-tailed Grouse and G. Prairie Chicken heard from
three different locations. The Chickens were moving around a bit,
perhaps playing musical leks? Lots of Horned Larks.

A beautiful, nearly pure white Snowy Owl was hunting from the tops of
the last large snow clumps along the edge of the road 1/4 mile SE of
the Tilden Jnct. Gravelpit Office. I watched the bird for about an
hour and could find only 5 or 6 tiny flecks of black on the head and
shoulder-caps of this individual. I assume this would indicate that
it was an older male? Though alert and actively watching for prey it
did not have the opportunity to chase anything while I was there. It
did fly twice to different hunting posts and looked in fine in flight.

Also at GR-NWR
1 Northern Harrier, male
4 Grey Partridge, a pair found in two different locations, both
associated with farmsteads
3 foraging Striped Skunk
1 hunting Mink

Steve....I added another lifer to my Road Kill lists. A very fresh,
very clean, large male otter found on US Hwy 2 just east of McIntosh
at 7AM.

Other observations of the day...
Fresh fruiting of Velvet Foot Mushroom
Skunks love hard-boiled eggs!