MOU-RBA Archives

September 2014

From:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
linda whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 19:31:35 -0600
The male Rufous Hummingbird frequenting feeders at 30627 Pumpkin Hill Road
in Le Sueur was still present this afternoon. After arriving at around 3:30
I had only to wait for 10 or 15 minutes before it made a protracted
appearance. It checked feeders on two sides of the house, but seemed to
favor the tiniest one, close to the front porch. It spent most of its time
flying back and forth between trees, particularly the two trees in the
front yard, and the apple tree to the side. It also perched  mid-canopy in
the two front trees for quite some time--when not chasing off other
birds--and did a bit of preening.
Many thanks are due to Steve and Mary Nesgoda for the gracious welcome
they've given us birders, as well as the birds. Steve wants everyone to
know how pleased they've been with the respect and friendliness shown by
all the visitors. (I regretted not having brought a sack of sugar for his
hummingbird feeders, but he assured me they had already ordered 50 pounds!)
If you go, park in along their driveway,and sign the visitors' book on one
of the two chairs they've set out for observers.
Linda Whyte