MOU-RBA Archives

October 2011

From:
Robin LaFortune <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin LaFortune <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:37:01 -0600
I headed out to Lubenow WPA as soon as I heard about the Purple Sandpiper and arrived at about 4:15pm. There were quite a few hunters present.

 The road (230thAve SW) winds along side the WPA, then through it,  forming a rocky shore on both sides of the road. The bird flushed from the west side of the road, flying only about 20 ft.  I got great looks from the car, and some so-so photos that I'll try to post later on the MOU site. The bird was very tame and actively feeding. It was still there when I left. I did not see the Sanderling.

I also saw a few Eurasian collared doves in Pennock, west of Willmar, on the wires on the way home.

Kudos to Denny and Barb for a nice find, and thanks to Bob for the report.  A lifer for me and a great MN bird!!!

Robin LaFortune
Delano, MN