MOU-RBA Archives

October 2011

From:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim R Eckert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2011 17:06:19 -0600
A juvenile Pomarine Jaeger was seen this afternoon between about 2:30
and 3:30 on L Superior at Park Point. I found it with my Minn Birding
Weekends group out from the utility buildings near the S end of the
Sky Harbor airport runway, about a mile S of the Recreation Area. The
jaeger was both swimming in the lake and twice observed in pursuit of
Ring-billed Gulls, and its ID was based on a combination of its
overall bulky shape, wing span, and body length in direct comparison
with the gulls, and its flight style as it pursued the gulls. No
useful features related to its bill, white primary patches, or shape
of the central rectrices were visible.

This morning, we also found an adult male Surf Scoter on the bay side
of Park Point between the 13th and 15th Streets access points.

Kim Eckert
http://www.mbwbirds.com